Sunday, February 18, 2007

Incarnational Parenting

One thing I love about Jesus is how he did ministry "incarnationally." How he didn't just "talk" ministry, but how He lived it. He didn't just teach about loving the poor for example, he restored the poor and disenfranchised through healing them, spending time with them, etc.

Have you seen that commercial where a father is doing some house project (repairing a pipe under the sink I think) and his son asks to help? Initially, the father turns him away- probably wanting to get the project completed quickly. But, after consideration, he invites his son to come help by holding the flashlight. I definitely can't retell it as beautifully as the commercial shows it, but be assured that it brings me to tears. There's something so precious about that kind of quality time between a parent and their child. That son wanted nothing more than to be important and help his Daddy- it was beautiful to be reminded how much our kids look up to us.

Tonight, Justin was struggling with his cold, with being tired, with being stuck in the house, with not liking our choice for his dinner, etc. Spring won't come quickly enough to chez Flaherty! Doug went to work adding felt pads underneath our chairs... mumbling about how he was meeting the "felt needs" of the chairs-- hardy har har. Anyway, he invited Justin to help him and you would've thought he had asked Justin to drive his car. He was so excited. He took his jobs very seriously that Daddy gave him and maintained a level of focus only found in an older child.

Throughout the day, Justin begs me to play with him if I'm not already. He's forever saying "Mommy!" and pointing to the floor. He forbids me from sitting on the couch- such a large distance from his play. He wants me down on the floor experiencing his world at his eye level... with him.

I learned that while Justin loves playing with his toys, more than anything he likes to spend time with his Daddy and Mommy, doing whatever we are doing. I would hypothesize that when we make good choices to "incarnationally parent," we'll love, nurture, and teach our boys more than we could ever pass on through our words. It's like the home-based company "Discovery Toys" persists, that "playing with your children is the best investment you'll ever make." It's like that, but you don't even have to buy their expensive toys!

2 comments:

Missy K said...

Wow, chcika, so much good truth in this. It has led me to look at the way I organize our home-- weighing if each "time and energy saving" process or idea frees up time for the kids to participate with us, or only bypasses those opportunities.

Well said!

Dr. Roger D. Butner said...

Rachel,

Bet you didn't expect to be getting comments on year and a half old posts! I am a Christian marriage and family therapist, increasingly specializing in working with teens and their parents. I am working on a book, the focus of which (and maybe the title) will be "Incarnational Parenting." I did a Google search on that phrase today, and it led me here.

I loved the post, and I look forward to taking more time with your blog. Keep up the incarnational parenting - and help redeem the world!