Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Half empty cups and diapers

This morning Nathan pooped for the first time in 5-6 days. I won't go into detail... well of course i will-- it was unbelievably huge and pungent. Definitely one that requires a new outfit and an unplanned trip to the washing machine.

In the moments left to my own thoughts- ruled by my flesh, I keep worrying if something is wrong with him, if that's the reason why he's fussy, if he's "gonna blow" while we're out somewhere with poop flying everywhere, etc. I can't simply enjoy the break from messy diaper changes.

On the other hand, in the moments when I'm graced by the Lord's perspective, I relax and enjoy not having to change many poopy diapers (when Justin was Nathan's age he had poopies almost every time I fed him!). I enjoy the fact that he's an efficient eater... taking in a substance that doesn't need to create much waste.

I sure am realizing there are many things like this in the mommy world. I am capable of finding something worthy of worrying about in just about every situation. When my boys suddenly have a night when they sleep much longer than normal, I sit during the additional time and worry if they are sick, smothered, kidnapped, etc.

Thankfully, quite often the Lord breaks through my flesh and by His grace reminds me to enjoy His gift in the situation. Lord, help me to hear You remind me of the gift in all these situations as I mommy my boys! Continue to show me and give me eyes to see that the cup (or diaper) is half full, not half empty. Help me enjoy the seasons of poop and the seasons in between!

Today I also want to bring attention to a fabulous post on my friend Missy's blog... link is to the right. To all those mommies of only sons out there, it's written to us! She beautifully captures the joy of loving our boys.

1 comment:

Missy K said...

Thanks for the shout out friend-- and this is a great post of your as well-- looking for "the flip side" of all the mommy issues that our minds and hearts would turn to worry or anxiety.

Well done!