Thursday, February 8, 2007

Going to the Hair Dresser

Going to get my hair cut used to be just another errand to squeeze into my weekly schedule. It's all very different now. It's like a morning at the spa. An event causing much advanced planning that results in complete relaxation once I'm there.

First I call to find out when my awesome hair dresser is available.
Then I talk to Doug about when he would be available to stay with the boys. (To take one of them with me would defeat the purpose of course.)
Then I call back and make the appointment.
The night before, I try to do a few things to help me get out of the house quicker... go ahead and think of the next night's dinner, pull out new toys for Justin to hopefully give Doug and him a good morning, etc.
The morning of the appointment, I try to time feeding Nathan (never quite works according to plan of course) so that he'll be fine during my extended excursion.
I take a shower- this is my big outing for the week!
I hunt down the check book.
I pack my purse (pulling out the diapers that i won't need this time out).
I top Nathan off.
I try to leave while Justin's still eating breakfast--- usually makes for a smoother dismount.
I kiss my sweet husband and remind him for the upteenth time how he can reach me at Nanette's... as if he doesn't know how to look the # up in my palm.

Then i get in the car, sigh, and take in the world alone from my own view point for the next little while. It's blissful.

I used to never appreciate such moments but of course i wouldn't have. It used to be all about me. Of course, in some ways it really still is--- like this blog for example.

Anyway, there are many ways I see the world differently now that i have little ones. And i wouldn't change a thing. While the moments of physical rest and quiet are few and far between, I'm learning to "rest" even in the midst of the wild chaos around me. And I'm learning to appreciate and be extra thankful for the moments I do have to myself. I think I'm a more thankful person thanks to my children.

A few words about my trip to the hair dresser...
I wanted a new do... i really wanted the hair of a friend of mine. (Isn't that how it is?) We'll call her "Peggy." Peggy has awesome hair. I asked Peggy to email pics of her hair so that i could show my hair dresser. She replied that she couldn't... that she was too embarrassed to do such a thing and couldn't do it w/out "upping her dose." I've definitely stolen that line many times since... and i'm sure it would give her joy if you did too.

I tried to describe the do to my hair dresser, and after she finished w/me, she said: "you tell your friend this is the best we could do w/out her drugs."

The room filled w/laughter. I got a practical need met and a good laugh w/random souls at the hair dresser.

I returned to 3 males on the couch... 2 were supposed to be there and one was being deviant. All were a bit tired, fussy, and glad to have me home. As was I.

And I had a blissful morning.

2 comments:

Missy K said...

Bwahahaha!! I loved this Rachel-- you perfectly captured the delicate balance of getting out of the house-- roughly the planning level of DDay, but oh so worth it.

Have a happy evening!

raebradley said...

Do tell...where do you go? I want my hair done SOOO BAAAAAAAD!!!
Rachel