Friday, August 3, 2007

"Bald Chicks Rule..." and so do men with receding hair lines

I have to take a moment to celebrate my brother and cousin. My cousin Hillary has been kicking Leukemia's booty for several months now. Her attitude has been so inspiring to so many people. Check out her blog for her wide smiles, humorous stories, and joyful perspective. Consider taking a moment to pray for her amidst the journey and to send her encouraging words via a comment on her blog.

My brother Brett (notice his hairline) participated in a bike ride that raised over $700k for The Lance Armstrong Foundation. He alone raised over $15,000! He's tied for first place as the largest individual fundraiser for the event. The event was a 24-hour bike ride "24 hours of Booty" and my brother rode 225 miles... unbelievable. I have a hard time driving for 225 miles, by the way. Brett tore up the street as he connected with legions of other bikers and stories... someone even gave him a pink ribbon pin worded "Bald Chicks Rule." Way cool!

There are many beautiful things to talk about here, but I wanted to celebrate my brother's participation in this event. He trained hard for this event and raised the money all the while raising money for his daughter and my niecey Caroline, who has insulin-dependent Type 1 Diabetes. He and Caroline's Mommy work hard every day to take the best care of Caroline.

The goal of my blog is to "Make Room for More." Amidst all the monotony of daily activities and the pull in the world towards foolish and wasteful things, I want to try to make room to experience and engage in the fullness of all that is offered us. That is what my brother has done. Amidst all the significant things on his plate, like caring for his daughter, he took the time to participate in an event that brought great help and encouragement to my cousin. His involvement speaks volumes to me of the size of his heart. And so I celebrate him here. Well done Brett. I'm thankful and proud to call you my brother!

1 comment:

Brett said...

Oh how do I ever thank someone who's opening comment points out my receding hair line? I have to be honest - I resemble that remark.

This was our first time in the event, and out of 1400 fundraisers, we finished second (to someone who had a lot of corporate donations). But I guess you always new I was a great big #2.