Monday, March 19, 2007

Happy Birthday, Missy

Today's post is written in honor of my blogging inspiration, Missy. Tuesday is her birthday and so I want her to wake up and see a post in her honor.

As I clear out the cobwebs in my brain, I remember our first lunch date at Trio on Main Street in Greenville. I had just relocated to Greenville and had no friends. I was anxious for a good buddy... one of those girlfriends you can spontaneously call or talk with for hours, one within whose home you can feel your cares melting away. Through witty conversation, thoughtful questions, and a calm presence, Missy started to be that friend that day.

So many wonderful memories...
long conversations while I procrastinated from work

praying together at your kitchen table

sifting through dates and men, getting your good exhortation and wisdom

watching Fight Club with you and John

holding Joshua at 1 day old

laughing and crying together over various Greenville cultures.... Furman, church, etc.

seeing the beginning of your scrapbooking and your photography, and watching it blossom through now

experiencing your listening ear as my heart began to fall for my Doug

living with you guys for several days just before my wedding... and Joshua having a reaction to meds which kept him (and all of us) up all night :)

having you stand with me as my matron of honor as I married my beloved

receiving your counsel when we've needed it over the years

Missy, thanks for your friendship, your sisterhood. Thanks for sharing your life with me, and for diving into mine. Thanks for your consistent pursuit. Thanks for enlarging my vision for being a wife, a mommy, a disciple, and a responsible citizen.

While reaching another milestone of a birthday is no fun as you consider the years going by with your boys, I hope and pray you'll take comfort knowing you have engaged them in all ways deeply. May all your precious memories fuel an excitement, a joy, and a vision to grow with them in all the years to come! I love you friend! Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Missy K said...

Sweet friend,

Your birthday message brought such happy tears this morning. I loved reading your memories, and reflecting on my own. Your love and intentional communication and friendship enlarge my life in so many directions.

Thanks for loving me, even when I am unlovely, listening and caring and "getting" me.

You bless me,
the birthday girl