Monday, November 12, 2007

For Bod or Bust (or Pecks)

Thanks for embarking on my winter wellness challenge!! "Winter Wellness Challenge" speaks of the meaning of what we're doing but sounds a bit dorky. So today I've come up with a better title of our little venture... "For Bod or Bust (or Pecks)"... it has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?! Pecks were added because our little community is co-ed by nature (or nurture?).

Here's how it will work. The beginning of every week, I'll post with our new little title as the subject so you'll get your cue. I'll post my successes and confessions. You chime in and comment on yours as well. Hopefully, commenting to each other at the beginning of each week about the last week will help remind us to get on track for the coming week. We'll continue this through the winter months or as long as it is helpful. If others would like to chime in, feel free... just be sure to let us know your goals as well. For the 6 of us, let us know in your comments if you've written something about it on your blog so we can read. I've put my successes and failures at the bottom of this post... so feel free to get started and add yours in a comment to this post. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for better ways to make this work. Thanks for joining with me! I look forward to hearing how your last week has been!

Here are the takers:
Two Square Meals
Marshall at Joy in the Margins
Diane at SleeplessinGreensboro
my Doug (blogless)
Laura
Laura is in Honduras and can't easily post a comment because she has limited bandwidth down there. I'm not totally sure what that means, but I do like saying the word "bandwidth." Maybe we'll name our 3rd born "Bandwidth." (don't worry... there's no 3rd yet.) Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Summary of our Goals
Two Square Meals: I need more exercise, more water, and fewer sweets.

Marsh: I plan on running 3 X's a week, followed by sit ups and push ups (gotta get ripped), and I am contemplating training for the marathon that is planned for Gso in May.

Diane: I'm trying to snack on better options-have more fruit available, etc. So, I would love to maintain a healthy diet, exercise 3 X a week with some ab and other toning exercises at least 2 X a week.

Doug: I'm gonna do push ups and sit ups 3 times a week, increasing each week. I'll even try to get Justin to lay on my legs for sit ups and back for push ups.

Laura: The one thing that is lacking is an ab workout. I am going to try to work out my abdominal muscles regularly. (Check out Laura's web page- linked above- for more info on all the exercise she gets naturally, living where she lives.)

Me: walk/run for 20-30minutes 3-4 times/week.do some sort of ab workout a couple times/week.during nap time, reduce my large snack to a small snack.say "no" to after dinner snacking, most nights.try to eat slowly, paying attention to when I'm full... decreasing my portion sizes as appropriate. try to focus on eating more fruits and veggies, cut out some cheese and crackers, save the dessert-urges for really good homemade ones... stop wasting them on candy corn and the like. continue to drink lots of water.

---------------------------------------------
My successes: I've walked/run every other day ever since last Sunday... so 5x! I've gradually decreased my walking distance and added running distance. I've felt great! And I totally rock because it's been COLD when I leave at 7:15am... last Thursday it was 24 degrees when I left! I'm still only gone for about 20 minutes which is ridiculously short. So this week I want to work on increasing to 30 minutes. I've also done some ab work 3 of those days. Generally done better eating, but
Confession time: I had a few extra handfuls of candy corn and ate 5 pieces of pizza yesterday! And I need to drink more water... would help the headache I have right now!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Ok, let's start low on expectations here in Thailand but it is the cool season. I will try to go to aerobics at least once a week and run once a week and do situps everyday.

Thai translation: Dichan ca bay aerobics athit la nung gap wing athit la nung gap do situps thuk wan (don't know in Thai yet).

Unknown said...

ooh! Katieinthemountains is in:
cardio 4x/week
arms and abs 2x/week each
& more stretching.
Rachel, how far?
Doug, how many push-ups?

Rachel said...

glad you're in, Melanie!!

katieinthemtns... do i know you, btw?

my distance is measured in time at this point... nothing technical here.

Unknown said...

Sorry, Rachel, I didn't realize you couldn't see that I used my Google account to comment: katherine.potter@gmail.com. It's Katie. :) I use www.runningmap.com to plan routes by distance.

TwoSquareMeals said...

Rach, I haven't forgotten. I'm working on it this week and will post my progress the next time. It's amazing how accountability has kept me out of the Halloween candy!

Marshall Benbow said...

OK, so good week for me. Ran on M, W and Sat (today I ran the farthest I ever have, 5.85 miles). On Wed I often skip because I have a 6:30 am breakfast meeting, but this time I just ran to it. Not to self - next time, tell wife that I am having breakfast after running so she does not freak out when I am not home at 8:00.