Monday, October 29, 2007

A Moment with a 'Shroom

It happened so fast. We were outside in the backyard. Nathan sat on a towel with a pile of toys to peruse, while Justin pulled out his riding toys. I was outside with them on the phone. A friend/alumni came over for dinner. She played with Justin while I finished my conversation. As I hung up, I noticed a wet, chewed up piece of white mushroom next to Nathan.

I rushed him inside and briefly looked for one of the hundred Poison Control magnets I've received and subsequently lost since embarking on parenthood. I gave up and called 911. The dispatcher transferred me to Poison Control and summarized my situation to their representative. Little did I know that we would be on the phone with her several more times over the next 24 hours. She walked us through the process of inducing Nathan to vomit with ipecac... as well as caring for him in general- what symptoms to look for, etc. By the way, we had to call a couple pharmacies to find it... so it might be worth grabbing a $3.99 bottle to have on hand in case of an emergency.

Nathan is totally fine and we're relieved and thankful parents. We found no pieces of mushroom in the vomit... so he probably spit it all out. Doug found pictures of the likely type of mushroom online, and it was indeed poisonous, so we were thankful for the conservative approach of Poison Control.

It was a scary and nerve-racking experience, but we were well-cared for along the way. Our friend's presence made Justin none-the-wiser to what was going on with Nathan... which freed us up to care for Nathan together for the next few hours. She was a huge blessing! Thanks, Sarah! And I was very impressed with both 911 and Poison Control... their professionalism, their wisdom, their gentleness and assurance, their take-charge mentality. They held our hand well at each step and told us in small amounts (as much as we could emotionally handle, for sure) exactly what to do. I hope you never have to deal with them, but if you do, I hope you have the same positive experience.

Summer and fall are common seasons for mushrooms to suddenly appear in your yard. We had never previously seen mushrooms in our yard. We later found our culprit 5 feet from where Nathan was sitting... so Justin probably rolled over it with his toy car and/or one of us kicked it unknowingly towards Nathan. So watch out for those 'shrooms!

5 comments:

Missy K said...

So glad Nathan is ok! I am sure that was scary

We are in the midst of our busy time so I might be quiet for the next couple of weeks. Love you!

TwoSquareMeals said...

We had our own poison control experience when Calvin was "helping" me clean the bathroom and sprayed cleaner is his eye. Luckily, I was using Method all natural cleaner. I, too, had a wonderful experience with the poison control lady. She was completely calm and collected, only telling me what I needed to know at that moment, and waiting until I called back 30 minutes later to let me know what she had found out about the cleaner. I guess they know what they are doing! Glad Nathan is okay. After our 5 inches of rain last week, I need to keep an eye out for mushrooms.

Running With Hope said...

How scary, Rach! I love poison control, they've always been very calm and very informative and helpful. I've had to call them twice, when Eliza opened a travel-size bottle of tylenol from my purse (at 9 months). And Psalter "used" (more like ate) a small tube of toothpaste another time. It's so scary, but PTL he's okay!

Family W said...

This is very scary, I'm glad he's ok.

I just stopped by via my mother's recommendation. She said I would enjoy your blog. I see you're into knitting..... so am I. I LOVE it! :)

God bless!

Rachel said...

thx for stopping by, fam of 5!