Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blog Update and What are you doing for Halloween?

First, some personal thoughts about this blog. When I started, I found myself loving the writing part of blogging. It fed my soul in ways I had never previously experienced by this craft. It felt like I was discovering a new talent, enjoying a new creative outlet. Blog post ideas were bursting from my brain and the words to write them well flowed easily.

I've been hitting some bloggers' block for some time now. Sometimes I have little to say. Currently, I have lots of post ideas but my time has been eaten up by family needs of late. More importantly, I feel like I've lost the umph in my writing- and therefore the desire to sit down and put those posts "on paper." Maybe I never really had it, but it sure did feel like good writing for me anyway! It's like my blog has lost its music, to quote a line from Sonship about how the Gospel for many of us tends to lose its music over time. Anyway, all that to say, thanks for continuing to read my blog... and at this point I trudge forward, still thankful for the learning and connection I receive through blogging.
--------------------------------

What are you doing for Halloween? Out of laziness and also the desire to maintain some margin in our life, we have not participated since we've had kids. The last 2 years, Justin has been too young to know he missed it, and Nathan was only 59 minutes old when the 31st rolled around last year. We're not scared of it, and don't think it's evil. We do shy away from keeping our kids up late. And we love that Justin still knows little of the existence of candy. I also hypothesize that Justin would freak out if we tried to dress him up in some sort of costume.

But I also think it could be a good opportunity to hang with some friends and/or get to know some neighbors better. A little initiating on our part could be a significant link in the chain to building some deeper relationships on our new side of town.

So there are our thoughts. I'm not sure if we'll participate in some way, or simply close the blinds to the world and cuddle on the couch. What are your thoughts on Halloween? What have and will you and your family do to celebrate?

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I find that blogging comes and goes in seasons for me. There are times when I'm glad to have the space / place to write and express my thoughts. And I'm learning that it's okay if it sits unattended for a while. Your blog AND your friends will still be here when you come back. ;-)

Missy K said...

Hey chicka,
We've already talked about the seasons of blogging. I'm all over the map on this, thinking about quitting one day, loving it the next. It is funny-- for awhile I was using the stuff I do to juice up my blogging, and now I am using the desire to blog to get me working on photography again more, etc.

To answer your question about Halloween, we have done things a little differently every year. When we were in the neighborhood in S'ville, it was easy-- we could do one or two streets and be done. Here there are not really neighbors who participate in trick or treating, so last year we were invited to some friends' house in a big neighborhood. They were very kind-- but it was a crazy scene-- too much! This year our church is doing a supper and a trunk or treat-- perfect. Just enough, and home only a little after bedtime.

TwoSquareMeals said...

We've been wondering about this, too. Hubby grew up not celebrating Halloween, but it was a huge deal for me as a kid. We have decided to make it small once the kids start asking for it. I'm not going to keep my kids from parties that all their friends go to. But I am not going to force them to do Halloween until they ask for it. It would just make us all miserable. Screaming, snotty kids in costumes. Yuck!

If you are looking for a way to connect with neighbors but don't want to drag the kids out in costumes, you could always throw a cookies and cider drop-in later in the season.

TwoSquareMeals said...

Oh, and I'd have candy ready for trick-or-treaters who stop by so that you aren't that house of party poopers that every neighborhood has. You can always be welcoming without taking your kids out. People will understand that they are too little.

Running With Hope said...

I think your blog is great. I love when you share about the not-so-easy things. That makes me feel like I can really relate! For Halloween, I let our kids pick out a dress-up dress from their playbox. Therefore, we don't have to buy anything and it's less threatening and familiar. Since Justin probably doesn't wear princess dresses and crowns, maybe some character PJs like Cars or Spiderman or whatever. It's really fun to pull them in the wagon and meet people. They love it, but don't understand the one piece of candy tonight rule quite yet (at least Psalter didn't last year). Wish we could trick or treat together.

Marshall Benbow said...

Actually, my wife was not being entirely forthcoming about our halloween plans. We also sacrifice a small animal and then let our kids eat candy without first x-raying it for razor blades (seriously, do you remember when you used to take your candy to the hospital to have it x-rayed?).

Thanks for the shout-out in the post.

As for blogging, we, your loyal readers will be here - whether it's days or weeks between posts. Sometimes it's good to take a break to recover the love.

barbara said...

We love trick or treating! Probably because the families in our neighborhood are friends. We go for a little while in our neighborhood and sometimes drive to those not too far away friends who we are just SURE would hate to miss seeing our kids dressed up!! Okay..I am sure they could care less but we get a kick out of it.
Two and four year olds don't really dig the dark, so we go out sooo early. Come join us!!