Monday, September 3, 2007

Being In The World But Not Of The World

Justin and I have started to attend a 10 week long music class called "Music Together." I first heard of the program from my college roomie and dear friend Kara, who is very musically inclined and was a teacher for Music Together for a few years.

Our first class was last Thursday and it was so much fun. The music is so rich with flavor and possibility. The teacher was so engaging and encouraging. Justin spent half of the time staring with amazement and wonder. The other half was spent dancing around the room, laughing, and looking for the bathroom. (For some reason he was fascinated with the bathroom, anyway...) I loved watching his concentration, loved observing that he's more into gross motor movement than fine motor. And I loved being there with him, both new on this musical journey. The program emphasizes parental involvement... that he'll learn more from me than from the teacher. Fabulous! I had an excuse to dive in, be silly, and try new things. Doug's keeping Nathan during that time so Justin and I can have that time alone together. I'm really excited about learning and experiencing music in new ways with him.

I'm also excited about being in a regular group with other kids and their Mommies, where we are all invested with our resources, time, and mutual interest. This opportunity seems like such a breeding ground for new relationships with families in Asheville with whom I otherwise would have no contact. I am filled with hope and anticipation in so many ways. I have so much to learn and so much to share as well.

The teacher sent us home with our Music Together packet, including a cd of all the music we will listen to in the class. After we returned home, we listened to the songs and relived the fun we had. We also heard new songs that we will experience later in the class. One of the songs was titled "The Earth is Our Mother," and was about taking care of the earth. While I am much in favor of being good stewards of the earth, I don't feel comfortable personifying it, as this song does. In Sunday School, Justin has been "learning" or "exposed to" the story of Daniel and the Lion's Den. We've been talking about it a little at home. I felt a little like Daniel, being asked to bow down to a "god" who wasn't my God. I realized there was no way I would feel comfortable singing about the earth like it was a spiritual being, and no way I would feel comfortable teaching Justin to do the same. However, in no way did I want to be disrespectful, holier than thou, divisive, or annoying in any way. What was I to do?

I emailed the teacher and told her how much we enjoyed the class, how much I could see Justin benefiting from the class even here at the beginning, how excited I was, etc. (think: gracious, gracious, gracious, was the goal.) I explained briefly how the song made me feel uncomfortable because of our differing spiritual beliefs for the reason above. I also told her that I didn't want to be disrespectful in any way or disrupt the tone of the class. I asked her to let me know when she would be singing the song in class and we would quietly leave the class early that day or come a little late. I was open to other suggestions.

My excitement for the class was quickly replaced by fear and trepidation: how would she receive my email? I felt like I was suddenly fast forwarded to Justin in first grade, my emailing the teacher about some similar issue. It felt like the potential beginning of such stress... wanting to be hopeful and excited about our involvement in the world while simultaneously feeling the awkwardness of not wanting to be of it, and wondering how would this play out in all the details. I so did not want to put a damper on our new relationships and new journey in the world in any way.

Thankfully, this story has an amazingly positive ending. The teacher promptly phoned me to talk further of my concerns. She was so respectful and so accommodating. She at no point made me feel uncomfortable for our beliefs and concerns. She helped me come up with a plan to take Justin to the bathroom with me during that song--- something he enjoyed-hilarious- and something that shouldn't affect the tone of the room. AND we won't have to miss much of the class at all, another one of her thoughtful concerns. She also said that after 1-2 classes of being exposed to the song that she would play it without the words, explaining that the best thing about it was the opportunity for experimenting with the drums. She wondered if I felt comfortable participating if the words weren't sung. I shared that I would love to be a part of it if the words weren't sung and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. She expressed her utmost appreciation for my involvement in the class. She even troubleshooted with me about how to help transition Justin back to the "real world" after the class... an unrelated question/concern about which I had emailed.

Not only did my encouragement for our involvement in the class return, but it was accompanied by increased excitement and vision for being involved in our children's (Lord willing) public school experience. True, we are years away from that experience's birth. But, my heart and mind long to be nurtured with real vision, passion, purpose, and hope in preparation for that season.

I know that every such future experience will not necessarily go the same way, but I'm taking a few principles learned from this one and putting them in my pocket:

1- Teacher-types love parental involvement more than they love cookie cutter parents who agree with everything they say and do. I shouldn't assume that they will hate me, as my people-pleasing tendencies might pronounce. In actuality, if I'm not a jerk about it, in all likelihood these teachers will probably be encouraged by my thoughts and participation all the more.

2- The Lord really is with me and doesn't like to rake me over the coals just for fun. I know this in my head but it was good to experience it in real life. And I long to remember that He's with me even during a story with not as good as an ending, as I'm sure will happen at some point.

3- These are issues worth dealing with for the sake of many values significant to our family. These folks in the class are worth a little bit of finagling and discomfort on my part.
a) I need to learn from them. I've found that many folks in our town who do not put their faith in Jesus like our family does actually have more of their lives in line with Biblical principles than many of us "churched" folks. The areas that immediately come to mind are: living in the moment/not worrying about tomorrow, not being busy, being supportive and connected to their family members, being good stewards of the earth (for different motives than ours but I can still learn much from them nonetheless), having hearts and lives more bent towards social justice especially in issues of loving the poor and race, and so much more.
b) Jesus is the only real giver of life and we long to be vessels through which the Lord reveals this truth to others. I want to be available to let the Lord use our family to love on them and share this Truth as doors open.

The best way to learn is to dive in, so here we go!

8 comments:

Missy K said...

my precious friend-- I LOVED reading this-- loved your response and the "unpacking" you did from your experience. It blessed me-- reminded me why it is so good to do the hard, good thing.

And I am really happy that you and Justin are loving the music class.

Praying for your today and tonight. . . :)

Marshall Benbow said...

This sounds like a Good News talk to me! Way to go Rachel - you could have run and found a Christian music program to get Justin into or set up your own music program at home, but I appreciate the Lord's heart in you to seek the Lost, to love them on their turf, while not giving up who you are or who Christ is calling you to be as a family. Way to go!

Marshall said...

Testing, 2,3,1

Kara said...

i am so excited that you and justin have started this musical journey together. i taught the flutes collection a couple of semesters ago and never sung that song in class because of what it promotes. still today, when we listen to the CD, i always fast forward. i am proud of you for standing up for what you believe and addressing it with the teacher. it is such a reminder for me to do the same as i struggle so much with being a people pleaser. i hope that god blesses your relationship with her because you spoke up. love you, friend!

Alex Nelson said...

i enjoyed reading your detailed thought process... very calm and collected. you would laugh to read my though process some days. next time i encounter a "situation" i am certainly going to try to channel the rachel patience.

Melissa said...

You know it makes me excited that you have hope in public edcation! I love how you are able to realize that teachers really do like parental involvement much more than wanting you to be like a "cookie cutter." You are a great mom and I would love to have you as a mother of one of my students! I wish all parents had the attitudes that you do!

Lorraine said...

Rachel,

I loved reading this foretaste of dealing with public school. As a teacher with lots of parent dealings in the past, I think you have struck the balance. There are parents that seem to be just waiting for something to point out... something that violates their beliefs. And then there are loving parents that first show the fruit of the Spirit through their presence in class and support of the children... sometimes kindly pointing out things that may offend them but also appreciating things that I do - like requiring cursive on spelling tests or requiring children to respect each other. Then when a "Harry Potter" issue arises, I'm seeing it from a rich picture of a family trying to do the right thing in the eyes of God.

Love ya

Brett said...

Good read Rachel. As you know, Caroline just started Kingergarten, and I can tell you this was a good low level first experience to what you are going to have to face probably many times over the next few years.

It was refreshing to hear how accomodating the lady was...I bet that won't always be the case. But you set a perfect example, as I'm sure she was equally taken aback by your level of openness and accomodation. What a great mother and a great example you are!

And yes, when in doubt, you can always use the bathroom or something around potties to distract boys...