Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It Is Finished

Almost. Just one more coat of paint on the crown molding and baseboards in 2 rooms- and we're officially finished with all the major house projects. I know I keep saying this, but it's really true this time!

The little boys and I just returned from a long weekend to grandma's (aka "Beep Beep") house where I participated in the baby shower of a dear friend and former coworker. In addition to getting some quality Beep Beep and shower time, I was also able to get some "out of town" work done. It was a full but fun few days. I return exhausted but grateful for all the experiences. While we were gone, Doug finished hanging the crown molding and baseboards in the kitchen, hallway, and master bathroom.

I await the return of my beloved from his long day of work (at his "real job") with a little background music, toys all over the floor, a grocery list needing starting, a calendar that needs at least a quick gaze, a wee bit more unpacking, and a desire to stretch my writing muscle. This blog has been such a refreshing practice for my mind and heart. It's calling my name right now and I'm grateful to concede.

Today I write a quick "thank you!" to my precious and industrious husband who has worked so hard in every way on our home long before we inhabited its walls and several months after. Thank you, Doug. Thank you for having vision that transcended the tiled-ceilings, smallish living areas, cracking walls, overpruned cotton-ball-on-a-toothpick-trees, limited kitchen, brass faux-ribbon drapery pull backs, and so much more. Where we now abide has plenty of leg room and plenty of space to play and rest. We can comfortably house guests for day and/or evening, all the while enjoying the noise barriers between living spaces and the boys' rooms.

Our impossible dreams of an open layout (in a 1920's bungalow), a "chop and see" where I can work in the kitchen in close proximity of the boys' playing, an extra bedroom for guest or office, a large front porch, a flat exit from the back of the house to the backyard... all a short skip to the "main street" of our urban-style culturally-mixed neighborhood... have become a reality.

The personality of this space continues to unfold. Just last week, Justin discovered that our front door was metal... something unknown to us... and excitedly used it as a new home for his letter magnets.

I'd like to insert here: "we did it!" But we both know that would be a massive joke. Had it not been for the generous help from friends, family, and students (who are like friends and family), we would still be demolishing walls, pulling up staples from the hardwoods, measuring for cabinets, and relieving ourselves in Ziploc bags (will expand in another post if interest presents itself). And we both also know it was the Lord who kept us asking for forgiveness when we were short with each other after long days. It was He who helped us know when to persevere with the house projects and when to throw in the towel and have a "family fun" day. It is He who continues to deepen our vision and desire to learn and live in this, our corner of the world, well.

But writing "a post for God" feels way to much like a slogan on a bad "Christian" tshirt. And so I write to you instead.

I'm grateful for you sweetie. I'm grateful for your hard work on the house. Your gifts in building are one in a million. But your gifts in husbanding and daddying are inestimable. I'm grateful for the ways you were present with us during this whole journey. And I sink into all the days the Lord has ahead for us.

2 comments:

Missy K said...

I love this post. And I am joyful with you that this long season of home improvement is ending.

Glad you're back.

Chris and Hillary said...

Holy cow I want pass out thinking about all the work you two have done! I'd love to see the official "after" photos, because I think the "before" and "during" photos looked great! Sounds like you guys made the most of the adventure :)
love,
hill