Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Two Little Monkey's Jumping on the Bed!"

Today I was pushing Justin and his friend Tian in the double stroller. My friend Lorraine (Tian's Mommy) was pushing Nathan behind me. It was hot. We were all sweaty. I was bee-lining for home where I would promptly lower the air conditioner and refill all our water bottles and sippy cups with cold water. ("coll wada!")

I was daydreaming about these next moves of mine when out of the corner of my eye, I barely noticed Justin stretching his neck out of the stroller, trying to look back at something unbeknownst to me. I promptly stopped the stroller and turned it towards the direction he was looking. I followed his gaze to a mattress store-- whose store front was covered with new mattresses. An employee was carrying them in one by one.

Justin was fascinated. The sheer number of mattresses in one location, the fact they were outside, watching the employee actually pick them up--- because of some or all of those reasons, it was all so new and curious to him. He proclaimed "Bed!" and "Night Night!" Lorraine laughed in delight, explaining she was touched by the fact that he made the connection between the beds and night night.

A few thoughts--
One, it's always a gift when a friend notices something about your child and subsequently complements and enjoys them. Thanks, Lorraine. I want to be more like that.

Secondly, I almost missed it! I'm so thankful the Lord prevented me from getting too lost in my own thoughts. The experience makes me want to keep slowing down and to be more present to notice the little things, the little significant moments in my boys' lives... in order to nurture their hearts and minds, to enjoy them, and to perhaps most importantly-- to let them know that I enjoy them, that I want to experience all those moments with them. The Lord certainly enjoys and notices all the little thing about me- including knowing how many hairs are on my head. He delights in me and sings over me. I hope to reflect the Lord's love for us in that way.

Lord, give me eyes to see, notice, and enjoy all the little hairs on Justin's and Nathan's heads, and all the little moments you give me in general in life.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Aww, I feel like I was on the walk with you. I'm glad Justin was enjoying himself. I miss him and you. Keep up the bloggin!