Monday, July 9, 2007

Wondertime

Thanks to my dear friend Missy, I have been introduced to a new amazing help for my Mommying. It's a magazine called Wondertime. (Thanks for all the back issues, Missy!) I have generally run away from traditional parenting magazines, finding them way to "should" and "how to" oriented. They bore me and stress me out. This magazine is more reflective, vision-oriented, and generally refreshing. In the words of my friend Jen, mother of 4 children in 4 years, it's like Real Simple with the focus on parenting preschoolers. It's aestheticly beautiful and oh so fun to read. And most importantly, it's helping me appreciate and make the most of all the valuable time I'm getting with my boys.

Here's a jewel from the Feb/Mar 07 issue... from page 16, the editor's note:

"Here are a few pieces of wisdom, collected from our advisory board and others, that have inspired me. I hope they do the same for you:

~Smile more; your face speaks volumes to your child.

~Three things to say more often: "Take your time," "It's not your fault," and "I'm sorry, you're right."

~Listen more, talk less- your child is the best teacher you'll ever have.

~Care as much about other people's children as you do about your own.

~Remember that kids don't learn by having knowledge poured into their brains; they learn by experience and through relationships.

~Expose your child to noble people."

Doug and I had a great time processing these wise words... very convicting and very encouraging to our parenting. They served as great reminders to us as we seek to be loving parents both to our children and to the world's children. We are encouraged to remember that we get to rely on the Lord's strength to help us love both.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I vote to title it, "the knowledge you have to gain from experience." :) LOVE U!