Saturday, July 14, 2007

Banana Bread Recipe

Here's another favorite in our house. It's a recipe I got from either Ashley or Cheyenne, thanks you two! I use it so often and I can't remember from which one the recipe originated. I love it because it's full of healthy goodies like wheat flour, wheat germ, and flax seed mill (which Justin calls, "fax seed MILL!" hilarious to me that he knows what this ingredient is!). So it's guilt free and everyone always raves about its taste, from the toddler to the retiree-- even people as old as my Aunt Betsy. ;)

This banana bread is a staple around here. Justin "helps" me make it. It's so easy and I'm so familiar with the recipe by now that I can handle the unpredictable but precious participation of my toddler. And he loves being such a big help and sticking his fingers in all the flour. Cooking is becoming a regular shared activity for us. Last week he even ran inside from playing ball outside with Daddy (sorry, Daddy!) when he saw me inside with my apron on. He immediately found his apron and wanted to join in on all the fun. He loves helping, loves that I let him sample what I'm making, and I love the special time with him. An added benefit is that he'll eat almost anything in that setting... even red peppers, cucumbers, and walnuts.

Like everything else, it doubles well (I've been known to quadruple it!) and freezes well. I usually make 2 loaves... eating one and freezing the other or giving it away to a friend. Your's wasn't one of the ones touched with Justin's fingers, I promise. Try it out and let me know what you think!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Banana Bread
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 stick of melted, softened
3 over-riped bananas, mashed
1 cup of sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups of wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cups walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seed meal

Mix together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour-1 hour 5 min, or when the middle is cooked. Makes one loaf.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wow, this sounds great, Rachel! I can't wait until we have some over-ripe bananas to try it out. I was getting tired of my recipe. Thanks!