Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Post for Hillary during the Fight of her Life

My dear cousin Hillary is suddenly in the fight of her life. She was diagnosed on Thursday with acute myeloid leukemia. A couple of weeks ago doctors thought she simply had mono. She self diagnosed at the beginning of the week after looking up her symptoms on wikipedia; doctors confirmed this diagnosis Thursday with blood tests. Thursday evening, she began the first of several rounds of chemotherapy. A few basic facts for those who don't know her... Hillary is 30 years old, lives and works in the San Francisco area, and in October married her beloved Chris.

This post is for you and your family, Hill.

Anyone who can self diagnose reflects a resourcefulness and love of life needed to fight such a disease. And you have that. You keep making sure those docs are on top of things!!

I remember when you backpacked Europe after college, by yourself. I've always seen you as a strong and courageous woman!

In elementary school you had a miniature pointillism painting on your mirror. Your love for art began at an early age. You see beauty in life that so many of us pass.

Around the time of middle school, you heard about how animals were treated in their preparation for us to eat. Out of a hurt and conviction for their welfare, you became vegetarian... and you have stuck with that all this time. Most of us in middle school were consummed with fleeting things like how to make our bangs as high as possible. You, however, exhibited a heart of deep compassion that was willing to live out your convictions.

Hillary, you are such an intelligent, compassionate, beautiful, and committed woman, one that I am proud to also call cuz. I stand with everyone who loves you and cheer you on during this, the fight of your life.

On the eve of Easter, may you know and understand in a unique way how God has special blessings for the sufferer. As you, and therefore those who love you, suffer, may you become like Him- who suffered for us on the Cross... may you allow your suffering to lead to abundant life both here and in eternity. May God, the Giver of Life, give you new physical and spiritual life that exceeds anything you could ask for or imagine! (see "footnote.")

Across cyberspace I send you much love and a host of my friends who are joining me in prayer for you, Hillary. And I also send much love to those closest to you... Chris- your beloved husband with whom you long to "share a permanent pillow", your Mom and Dad- who loved you their youngest daughter before they even knew you, and to Stevie... your sister and best friend whom you have longed to be beside your whole life. God's most precious blessings to you all!

----------------------------------------------------
"7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 3: 7-14)
----------------------------------------------------

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome person you seem to be. Even though we do not know you, we join many in prayer for you in this fight, that God would show his GLory and teach you and others of His everlasting love.

Missy K said...

Hillary, through God's working of grace, he makes brothers and sisters of strangers. In that spirit we pray for you this day, for healing for your body and peace for your heart and mind. May you be sustained by God's care and the hands of His children on earth.

Rachel said...

annie, dan, and missy--- thx so much for your kind words and prayers. they bring much encouragement and hope to our family.

raebradley said...

Hillary- I love your cousin Rachel and therefore love you & your family. You are being prayed for daily in our home. As a cancer survivor, I will never doubt that God is in control and is a Healer. You are His special cration.

raebradley said...

CREATION!

TwoSquareMeals said...

Hillary, we do not know you, but like others, we love and pray for you and your family because we love and pray for Rach.

My father lost his 3-year battle with multiple myeloma last Fall, and I know only those who have had cancer can understand what you are going through. But I also know that through the difficult days of treatment our family experienced the love of Christ, the love of one another, and the love of our community to a depth that we had not before. I pray that you are surrounded by a community that can support you and your husband.

And I also pray that you may know the height and the depth and the width of His love to sustain you. I know that our God desires to bring healing. And though he does not always bring it on this side of His Kingdom and the New Creation, I am praying that he will do so for you.

Peace of Christ to you.